Tuesday, April 3, 2012

What do you "really know"?

I am convinces that one of the keys to living life is to live out of what we know. I don't mean what we know in our heads, but the deep convictions that reside in our hearts. Recently I had someone say to me, "My head is stuffed full of things I know about God, but when I look into my heart I find so little of Him there." This friend was verbalizing what I believe most all of us would say in truth. The fact is that God our Father is always working in us and is always working to build in us convictions to live with and assurances to walk in this life with Him. This is a heart matter.

Jn 13:3 Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God." These were things that Jesus knew- truth that he lived by and was deeply convicned of. So convinced that he got up from the table where he was eating with his disciples and washed their feet. Only one who knows his authority would willingly choose to teach in such a manner. When he had finished wahing feet he asked them, "Do you understand what I have done for you?" That is still a great question. In understanding, we go beyond just mere head knowledge into discernment that will change our lives. Jn 13:15 I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you." vs 17 continues with "Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them."

Jesus challenged his disciples and all of us today to understand what he has done for us. To really know the powerful example he has left for us- one which is intended to cause us to live like him. In knowing this we are blessed if we do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment